By the beginning of the 19th century there were nearly 30 cloth mills in Painswick Parish, most of them using water power to drive the mill machinery. Of the buildings that remain Savory's Pin Mill was the last to remain a working mill closing in 1982.
There was a mill here in the 15th century, but the present buildings date from the 18th century. When the local cloth trade declined, the mill became a corn mill and, in 1850, a pin mill. The water wheel was removed from the wheel channel in the 1960s and the sluice gates are no longer used.The 17th century King's Mill, built on the site of a 15th century mill, was a cloth mill until the middle of the 19th century and then a pin mill. The 30-foot long weavers window is one of the longest in Gloucestershire