In addition to being a centre of the cloth trade, Painswick was a market town, a charter for a weekly market being granted in 1253. The market was held by the cross, the market hall standing where Throne now stands. Two pillars of the hall are built into an interior wall of Thorne. Close to the market were the cottages in Vicarage Street where weavers and other workers lived. The street was once the slum of Painswick, the cottages have been renovated in recent years. Cottages for mill workers were sometimes built beside the mill, as at Damsells Mill. The mill dates from 1674 . It was a cloth mill until the 1820s, then a flour mill and now a private house. The water wheel still stands inside the building.