Article Index

The prosperity of the clothiers in the 17th and 18th centuries is shown by their fine houses, several of which are still private residences. Painswick Mill House by Painswick Stream, dates from 1634. The mill made cloth until the 19th century when it became a silk mill and then a pin mill. The sluice gates are still used to control the flow of the stream. Upsteam from Painswick Mill is Cap Mill which specialised in making the caps worn by workers in the cloth industry to denote their occupation. The mill house has a weavers mark above the porch with the date 1678 and the initials of the clothier. Washbrook Mill was a corn mill then a cloth mill. A tablet in the wall of the house is dated 1691.