Article Index

During the 17th century not only were many new houses built in and around Painswick, several old properties were restored or enlarged. At Sheephouse, the house once occupied by the Sheep Bailiff was rebuilt and the dovecote added. The south wing was built in the early 18th century. Holcombe house was rebuilt for a clothier in the late 17th century; it was restored and enlarged in the 1920s. The barn used to have a tiled roof. One of the new houses of the 17th century was Wick Street House which stands at the old main road between Painswick and Stroud. It was built for Giles Fletcher, a clothier and Constable of the Manor, whose initials and the date 1633 are carved beside the weavers mark above the front door.