Article Index

In Bisley Street are some of the oldest buildings in Painswick, some of them dating from the 14th century. This used to be the main street of the town, as it lay on the route between two other important centres of trade, Gloucester and Bisley. New Hall is described in records of 1420 as a Clother-makers Hall. The wool and cloth were carried to and from Painswick by packhorses and donkeys. The door of the Chur and of Byfield House are donkey doors through which the donkeys reached the rear of the buildings. The houses now called Wickstone, Fleece and Litlle Fleece used to be the Fleece Inn which closed in the early part of the 20th century. The arch over the window of Wickstone was the packhorse entrance to the inn courtyard.